My daughter started to learn how to skate last season, but it is only now that she is learning on her own. I was a bit afraid for her but she has been doing great! Last time she learnt how to stand up on her own and how to glide. I was so proud of her! To celebrate her great achievements I did this beautiful skating kiddie sandwich. When she saw it she said: "Oh, mummy, this is me skating!" We laughed and talked about skating while she was eating.
1 slice of bread
1 slice of ham
1 slice of orange cheese (I have used Kraft Cracker Barrel Cheddar Sliced Cheese)
1 slice of yellow cheese
4 mini carrots
1 black olive
Did you know that during winter the Rideau Canal passing through Ottawa, CA becomes officially the world's largest skating rink? The cleared length is 7.8km (4.8 mi) and has the equivalent surface area of 90 Olympic ice hockey rinks.
Step1 Cut 3 shapes from the bread, as shown on the picture: 1 for the shirt, 1 for the head and 1 for the skirt. Cut two slices of radish and then, cut 'skates' shapes from each one - see the picture.
Step2 Prepare the following shapes:
- from the ham: cut the same shape and the skirt made of the bread. Cut a heart using a cookie cutter or a knife.
- from the orange cheese: cut the same shape as the shirt made of the bread. Cut 5 flowers using a cookie cutter or a knife.
- from the yellow cheese: cut a circle in the same dimensions as a head made of bread.
- from the tomato: cut a shape of a helmet
- from the radish: cut a small heart using a cookie cutter or a knife. Cut a small stripe for the mouth.
- from the cucumber: cut a belt - you can use the inside part with the seeds to give it more texture - cut two stripes and a flower to go in the middle of a belt
Step3 Spread butter on the bread. Place all the pieces of bread on the plate. Make the skirt with the ham and cheese flowers. Make small dots in the middle of each flower with the ketchup. Make the shirt with the orange cheese. Place two hearts on top of the cheese: first, one heart made of ham and then, the second one made of radish. Place the cucumber belt between the shirt and the skirt. Make the face using the pieces cut from the yellow cheese, tomato and radish. Cut a small stripe from the olive to make the eye. Place the carrots to make arms and legs. Make the skates from the radish. Enjoy!
Skating kiddie sandwich
Stay in touch and don't miss a thing! Follow me on social media, via RSS feed, newsletter or Bloglovin: